Category Archives: TV Trough
- Santita Jackson’s media career takes an unexpected turn Friday when she debuts as a contributor to Fox News Channel, appearing during the 7am hour of Fox & Friends. Jackson, an outspoken liberal and the eldest daughter of the Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, most recently hosted middays at Midway Broadcasting urban news/talk WVON-AM (1450). Although she’s been off the air (and off the station’s payroll) since December, the door is open for her to return via syndication. “I have a great deal of respect for Santita and think she’s extremely talented,” said Melody Spann Cooper, chairman of Midway Broadcasting and general manager of WVON. “If she ever were to get a syndication deal, I would love to put her on in the evening.” Perri Small, who’s been filling Jackson’s former 9am-to-noon slot since December, is expected to be named her permanent replacement. But Cooper said it’s not official yet — despite a change to that effect on WVON’s website. “That’s not correct,” she said. “I would say it’s likely, but it’s still a little premature because it has not happened.”
- Fox News Hires Jesse Jackson’s Daughter Santita Jackson As Newest Contributor (mediaite.com)
- Fox News reportedly hires Jesse Jackson’s daughter as analyst (thegrio.com)
Katie Couric ignored Palin and her debut in Katie’s old seat. She now hosts GMA. Sarah seemed fired up. I taped her debut but have not watched it yet. Had to leave early this am and I have a hot yoga class tonight. Gotta keep the yoga booty going LOL.
And in case you were unaware a person keeps the title for life once elected to any office or if they have earned a degree such as MD they are always referred to as Doctor even if retired. BTW only MDs are doctors the PhDs are “doctors of philosophy” but not doctors. They hold a doctorate–
MD means medical doctor no other degree says that.
And within the first few minutes of NBC’s popular morning program, it was clear that Palin had a strategy for handling the show that was once hosted by Couric – plenty of self-deprecating humor. By contrast, Couric’s approach was to completely ignore Palin; she made no reference to the 2008 race or her blockbuster interview with the then-vice presidential candidate that many credited with dooming the GOP ticket.
The first glimpse viewers of the “Today” show got of Palin was her head buried behind an open newspaper.
“Oh, man, she’s doing her homework!” co-host Matt Lauer said.
I had to delete my taped recording of UP this weekend. Chris Hayes, Jewish, usually has a blend of Jews, gentiles and blacks on his show. But Ezra Klein, Jewish, who filled in for him this weekend had a weekend panel composed entirely of Jews and one silent black on the panel, only on Sunday.
The pattern continues with the blacks who appear on UP, including McWhorter whom I like despite his being married to a NY Jew, was also silent. He added one short comment during a two-hour show!
UP has sold out to Jewish interests already and I won’t be watching it. Now Melissa in turn had the same Ezra on her show! This Jew is everywhere. I don’t get it why have token blacks on your shows who will not be adding anything but color and fill it up with Jews who take over the whole show again with little to add to it?
Cable is getting scary again.
Yes it is a big deal to wear your own hair. I would love to wear my hair natural and out but because I have students who are not home trained they make fun of teachers who are not like them or white. In the summer I wear my hair natural and down and love it. Way to go Viola. Chicago women wear more natural hair than other climes.
- Monday’s Muse – Viola Davis (sassncurlz.com)
- Viola Davis Wears Green Vera Wang For the Oscars Red Carpet (popsugar.com)
[Udpated 10:43 a.m.] A student at Chardon High School, Evan Erasmus, told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV that the suspect in Monday’s shootings may have posted a threatening message Sunday night on the social networking service Twitter.
“I think he said that he was going to bring a gun to school and I think that everyone just blew it off like he was joking,” Erasmus said.
- Breaking News: Officials Evacuate Students Following Shooting At Ohio High School (bossip.com)
- Four students shot at Ohio high school (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Live Stream: Coverage And Updates Of Ohio School Shooting (mediaite.com)
I am so glad it was her if it could not be Davis. However, I did not think Davis deserved the award the same way that Spencer did. In fact I was not going to include her but thought it would be rude not to say she was also a show stealer. The real show stopper was Olivia Spencer.
And with the sweep of The Artist a movie I had no intention of seeing; it was hardly worth staying up late to see Meryl win. I heard the Iron Lady was not a great film but her performance was. Michelle Phillips had no business being nominated. I did not see the film and I am glad she did not win. This year’s awards with that horrible, old, Billy Crystal was a sham.
And Ryan Seacrest you should sue that ugly Sasha Baron Cohen for dumping those ashes on you.
- Meryl Streep Oscar Wins: Best Actress Winner Has Long Academy Awards History (news.moviefone.com)
- Meryl Streep, The Artist, and Hugo Win Big – and More Oscars Highlights! (popsugar.com)
- Twitter Reactions: Meryl Streep Wins Third Oscar (popculturenexus.com)
- Oscar Winners Octavia Spencer, Meryl Streep, Jean Dujardin, Christopher Plummer & the Artist (binsidetv.net)
The infamous commenter Pat Buchanan has finally been taken off the MSNBC political pundit list.
I like him because he is a straight shooter. Most people won’t miss him however. Bye Bye Buchanan.
I watched the recorded version of UP with Chris Hayes which airs live over the weekend. He to his credit usually has at least one or two black folks from the ivory towers to talk about the fodder from the week past.
But this Saturday I began to wonder if they were not more than window dressing. When there is something that relates to black people that’s one thing. But when it comes to economics or something really heavy the black people are made to sit silently. McWhorter did not say more than two short sentences this saturday and the woman Michaela Davis, don’t know what she’s doing there, said even less.
I am starting to notice a pattern with his show. Okay we know Chris is Jewish and he got his start from another Jewish host–Rachel Maddow. But he typically has one or more Jews on his show and peppered with at least one black, which is a good thing.
But don’t let them be seat holders Chris. I expect a little more. Melissa does speak up whenever she is on anybody’s show. Nobody is going to shut her up. I hope she does not take over her show like Joe does and talks over everybody and uses up the majority of air and waves.
No show is perfect but at least don’t let the black knowledgeable folks embarrass themselves with their stupid silence.
- MSNBC’s Chris Hayes Confronts His Daily Mail Alter Ego, ‘GOP Strategist Chris Haynes’ (mediaite.com)
- Melissa Perry-Harris (biracial) lands show debut, title on Feb 18 (heloise8.wordpress.com)
- Up With Chris Hayes Story of the Week: Democracy for Billionaires (crooksandliars.com)
MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY whose show will bear her name “Melissa Harris-Perry”
TO DEBUT WEEKEND PROGRAM ON MSNBC (where my old boss Aretha Marshall works–I wonder, since she is in charge of hiring talent DID she play a role in hiring women who look like her! Especially Alex Wagner)
—FEBRUARY 4th 10 AM-NOON ET–or pushed back to Feb 18?
“UP W/CHRIS HAYES” TO AIR 8-10 AM ET SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
NEW YORK—January 5, 2012—MSNBC contributor Melissa Harris-Perry is the latest addition to MSNBC’s expanding weekend lineup. Her new program, set to air Saturdays and Sundays 10a-noon ET, will debut on MSNBC February 4th. The announcement was made by MSNBC President Phil Griffin.
I mentioned her in a blog http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/the-age-of-opinion/
And what would this hour of power be without a woman? Melissa Harris-Perry, writer and professor at Tulane University, has been popping up like dandelions in a hot rainy spring. She’s everywhere these days after making frequent appearances on the Rachel Maddow Show. I don’t think anyone could have assembled more staunch supporters of President Obama. They comprise the new insiders, as long as Obama is president. Then there are the outsiders: Tavis Smiley and Cornell West. They are undertaking a bus poverty tour and asking Obama not to change the subject. The subject is jobs, jobs for the black community who is hurting at 16 percent unemployment nationally. Shouting matches have been breaking out all over national television between authentic blacks and plantation politicians. Both terms have been around for decades, but in the age of opinion they take on new meaning in light of this country’s first “black” president.
Read more: http://blogcritics.org/politics/article/the-age-of-opinion/page-2/#ixzz1lBJWJRVz
- Melissa Harris-Perry’s MSNBC Show Gets Title And New Date (huffingtonpost.com)
- Melissa Harris-Perry’s New MSNBC Weekend Show Has A Name: Melissa Harris-Perry (mediaite.com)
- TheGrio’s 100: Melissa Harris-Perry, bringing race and politics to the forefront (thegrio.com)
- Melissa Harris-Perry to get show on MSNBC (heloise8.wordpress.com)
I nearly forgot that the Screen Actors Guild awards are tonight. Only the actors are awarded and not the films. It will be interesting to see if any black people win this year.